Wednesday, August 19, 2009

laughing is always the best medicine

Good friends are hard to come by. I happen to be lucky enough to have two I see on a daily basis. Two! how cool is that? We work together, laugh until we cry or pee together, and text each other about life and give each other support when one or the other needs it.
Granted, I have friends, old friends, new friends, friends I haven't heard from in a while, one good friend that I talk to once in a while but it's always like it was yesterday. I enjoy making them laugh, I want to be there when they cry, I want to knit all of them socks, sew them quilts, make their kids and grandkids stuff, and give them money if I win the lottery.
I've actually won the friend lottery. Got offered a higher paying job, with benefits, even a little free time to study if I wanted. NOT taking it. Not even interested. Why? I couldn't leave what we have built together. We have a pretty sweet deal here where we work, and we work well together. I look forward to being here every day, and we help each other out, and keep the mood cheerful and postive.
We even like the same colors, have a lot of things in common, likes, dislikes, etc. I'm rambling.
I wonder if people ever find the really good friends. I believe that you have to be one in order to have one, so maybe for me, it's about time. We deserve a good work environment, and it also helps us keep things in perspective. We are, after all, in a health care environment, and everyone here has that caring personality about them. I don't know any of us that are only here for the money, or are burnt out, or things like that.
I wonder if people take the time to really look at themselves ( not just in the mirror) and take the time to become really, really self-aware about who they are. It has only since I have been on my own the last few years that I have been able to do this. I have read a few books, and surfed the web a bit to come to realize that this tends to happen among those of us that are in our middle years. I mean that we sort of look at our lives reflectively. "okay, I'm 40 now, and here I am. What do I need to make me better?" Or, "Whoa! I really f@$%^ed up that one! now what do I do?" or even, "AHH, who cares?" ..
I was like that for a while. Seriously. Not doing it anymore. I love my kids, but not using that excuse for the way I look, or how I act. I still have my life to live. I still have dreams, and desires, and things I want to do. I have a long list. I'm hoping this guy I'm texting and I might chase a few together.
Back to friends. I would tell anyone. Get one. Be one. Give them all you got. Don't isolater yourself. We are humans, meant to live together, experience, teach, set examples for, and, ultimately, die. I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment