Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring cleaning




My house is 100 years old this year! Actually, I rent it from a very nice family that lives next door. My kids and I have been here for almost two years. It's a pretty small house. Like you can walk in the front door, take 1.5 steps and run into my chair. It's a typical house from the early 1900's, this was a logging town, so many of the houses here were for bachelors. That being said, I am raising two almost teenage girls, who have to share a room, and my son, who sleeps with me. Starting to feel cramped yet? Top that off with no closets, or mud room. The Mohawk river is less than 15 feet from the back door, and the Marcola highway (a thoroughfare for log trucks)is about 30 feet from the front door. Now are you feeling cramped?
You would think it would be easy to keep clean. NOT SO. NOT EVEN FREAKIN THE SlIGHTEST. Between the two girls who have suddenly forgotten everything I ever taught them about cleaning up, and my 3 year old boy, who doesn't know better, and if he did clean, he would make another mess because it is fun, I'm at my wit's end.
Luckily, for the sake of my stress level, the girls are spending a week with their dad (okay so even tho I can't stand him, it's a nice break. they'll come back worse than they were before they left) and I've taken today and tomorrow off to catch up with what has been almost 6 months of not properly cleaning.
Oh. MY. Gawd.
I started with the bathroom, and got the laundry area ( which is on the way to the bathroom) and the kitchen done. I'm exhausted. Utterly. I never knew how much mess a kid can ignore, let alone an overworked, going-to-school, mom could miss!
(Don't forget the house is 100years old..thats going to fit in soon)

I forgot about the 'closet' next to the stove, that used to be the old wood stove chimney space...yeah. 2million spiders! 4million sugar ants! (so THAT's where they were coming from!) I sprayed Tilex in there, shut the door and moved the little shelf-thingy in front of it. I hate sugar ants. They are rude, and like a hell of a lot more things than sugar. Hot dogs, salad, etc.. My poor son plays with them during supper..(just kidding. but almost not)

I'm thankful, really. I have a place to live. Renting is not as good as owning, but NOW, (100 years) I'm fighting dry rot. MOLD. Mice. The cures for all of these cost money and repeated trips to Jerry's, I'm really looking into a newer manufactured (yes, I hate them too) but OMG! Can we not have spider heaven, and mice-a-topia live here?

I gave up at 4pm and went riding..

No comments:

Post a Comment