Sunday, July 25, 2010

A little goal set

Let's admit something right here and now. I despise acrylic yarn. Over the years, the industry has improved the texture from what was similar to knitting with fuzzy Marlin fishing line, to a relatively softer fuzzy Salmon fishing line.

Sure the baby stuff is nice, and one does have to consider baby's sensitive skin, but isn't that what cotton is for? Bamboo? Linen? All the wonder of natural fibers has taken quite a hold of me. I put a LOT of time and effort into a project, and an acrylic will just eventually end up at the St. Vincent De Paul's, with the probable future purpose as a fancy dog bed or protecting your grandmother's mirror when you move to Ohio. A hand knit cotton blanket might just improve it's odds to making it to the heirloom box, or lovingly passed to the next expected bundle of joy in the family or circle of friends.

So, as of today, I promised myself: NO MORE Acrylic. I am using up the stash, and moving on to natural fibers only. Wool. Cotton. Linen. Alpaca. Etcetera. I am aching to buy some Yak or Quiviut or whatever it's called. I petted some cashmere blend at the LYS a few weeks ago and actually thought that's what Heaven might feel like if it were knitted.

Of course, it will cost more money. Acrylic is cheap. But my hands are not as young as they used to be. I decided they are worth more than what Acrylic feels like. My hands want the other stuff. I will pamper them, love them and oblige them because they are worth every penny.

My hands also want to learn to spin and weave. I need to keep them happy with the natural idea before I take that far of a jump.



So here's the latest attack on the Acrylic stash. I named this project Jezebel. The colors are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment