Tuesday, August 9, 2011

probably where they'll bury me

Growing up in the largest county in the state sure had its unique experiences. One of my Facebook friends recently started a "you know you're from Harney County if.." and we all get to fill in the blank. And hooboy, has it gotten filled. I believe there has been an entry representing the last 60 years of county life and times. From the mature generations chiming in with memories of A&W, buildings that long since burned down and businesses that long since changed hands before I was born to more recent times after I left.

Seriously, there are only three areas that can even be called 'towns' in Harney County. Burns-Hines (okay it's four but come on, Burns and Hines are like connected by the High School.. let's not split hairs here), Drewsey, (my hometown) and Crane (location of the only public boarding school in the USA, I believe). We harbor a rich history of pioneering, Almost -extinct industries of Logging and ranching, and one of the longest-running rodeos in the state. (100 years as of 1989).

I'm proud to be a part of  it, and wish someday I could go back. There's not much along the line of jobs, unless I want to be a long haul truck driver, or win the lottery. I did get my degree in solid work ethics, resilience,  honesty, and having fun as much as possible without the use of electronics.

So, for those of you who are country kids, I hope you try to instill a bit of that in your kids and grandkids. For you city folks, remember to always keep it simple. Life is too short to drag around all sorts of clutter.

Here's to simple living and small town life. May it never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment